The Mapping category is a place for SAV mapping practitioners to talk. Here we focus on remote sensing methods, tools, data and best practices (Tier I*).
Please use the Monitoring in the Field category for discussion related to field-based monitoring.
Some potential topics include:
- What are the best methods for mapping seagrass in a turbid estuary?
- Image acquisition (TAG)
- How does a government or non profit entity acquire satellite imagery for seagrass mapping?
- Image Processing
- How can I reduce or remove sun speckle from my imagery?
- Is it necessary to orthorectify my imagery?
- Groundtruthing your imagery
- How many points are needed to properly groundtruth imagery?
- Using citizen science projects to groundtruth imagery- best practices.
- What’s the best way to groundtruth your imagery to get the most/best information out of it- since you are going in the field what data can/should be taken to visit the most sites and answer the most questions.
- What questions can be answered beyond presence/absence
- Satellite Imagery
- For many who will have to rely on satellite imagery, given its own limitations for now, what level of accuracy are individuals willing to accept?
- Using drones to map SAV
- What are the best drones to use
- What can you expect in terms of how much area can be covered in one day
- Automating the mapping process
- Use of e-cognition software to generate polygons - best practices- emerging research
- How can the CoP work together to curate grey literature and other resources on mapping methods.