Introduce yourself

Please introduce yourself to the Community by replying to this post.

Thanks!

• Dave Wilcox
2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I’ve worked at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science at William & Mary for more than two decades to help monitor SAV in Chesapeake Bay annually from aerial imagery (VIMS SAV Website). My background is in math, computer science, and GIS with studies at Va. Tech and Ohio State. I’ve been involved in creating this Community of Practice and hope it will be a place where we can share ideas and help each other solve problems. I look forward to getting to know each of you.

• Dave Wilcox
1 Like

Hi, my name is Tay Evans, I’m currently researching best practices and new technologies to streamline state-wide mapping efforts in Massachusetts for Mass DEP. Before starting at DEP, I spent many years at Mass Division of Marine Fisheries doing restoration, monitoring and mapping of seagrass and other fisheries habitats. I’d love to hear more about mapping methods that your state or organization is using.

Hi Tay and welcome to the SAV Monitoring/Mapping SoP!

I help coordinate the SAV monitoring for Chesapeake Bay. Most of our methods are documented on the web (https://www.vims.edu/sav) and I’d be happy to answer any questions. Do take a look at the information on the CERF CoP page (https://www.cerf.science/sav-mapping-monitoring-cop).

Welcome!

• Dave

Hi Tay,

I’m currently developing methods for annual satellite-based mapping of eelgrass and kelp for the state of Oregon. Feel free to contact me directly if you’re interested (the same offer applies to others on this list :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Eric

1 Like

Hi! My name has Deidra Valianti and I am an environmental scientist working at an engineering consulting firm in NJ. I have focused most of my career doing land use permitting for NJ and NY at the state and federal level as well as wetland mitigation.

I am now shifting my focus to SAV restoration in NJ, specifically Barnegat Bay. We have been mapping the area and ground truth surveys conducted (Presence/absence, Phase 1 and Phase 2). It is mostly Eelgrass with some Widgeon grass.

I have been researching SAV planting methodologies, determining locations of donor beds for seed collection or transplants harvesting, seed dispersion and planting methodologies. Also adaptive management strategies for dealing with recreational boating /prop scars, etc. in the area.

Thanks!
Deidra

Hi Deidra,

Welcome to the world of SAV monitoring and mapping. Don’t hesitate to post any questions. We’ll do our best to point you in the right direction!

• Dave