CERF2021: Uncrewed Systems - Jessie Jarvis

Discussion from the Exploring Emerging Technologies Through the SAV Community of Practice Workshop.

Jessie’s talk is now available here: Uncrewed Systems for SAV Monitoring-Jarvis.pdf - Google Drive

1 Like

If you are not able to fly that type of drones (DJI) due to DOD concerns - what other options do you have (outside of using drones from the local military). The map appeared to show that my area in Pensacola would be very restricted in the event a drone monitoring program was initiated.

• Question from Michael Swords

List of approved drones: Pentagon Releases List of 5 Government Approved Drones

• Jessie Jarvis
1 Like

Dr. Jarvis - when you ground truth, are you using BB scores for abundance?

• Juliet Christian

We do use BB scores

• Jessie Jarvis

Dr. Jarvis: I believe you cited a flight altitude of 150 m. At that altitude, what is the approximate width of the field of view of the camera? Do you ever have trouble with image stitching closer to the deep edge of beds in areas of very shallow bathymetric slope (i.e. farthest from GCPs)?

• Angela Brewer

At 115m FOV is ~40-50m. There are issues stitching large areas of deep water at the meadow edge (e.g. ICW). To get around this we have to fly a larger area (much larger than the SAV site we are interested in) to try to get some type of structure in the image (e.g. marsh, reef, sandbar). Another possible work around is using a more aggressive interpolation method in the stitching process. The GCPs aren’t used in stitching, they are only used for georeferencing the image.

• Madison Lytle

Jessie’s talk is now available here: Uncrewed Systems for SAV Monitoring-Jarvis.pdf - Google Drive